Champions of the Earth 2014
On November 19th, the United Nations celebrated some of the most outstanding visionaries and leaders in the field of the environment at the 10th annual Champions of the Earth award ceremony. Past recipients come from diverse fields and backgrounds, and they include scientists, educators, political leaders, architects, and more. This year’s ceremony was hosted by Gisele Bundchen, UNEP Goodwill Ambassador and longtime Boston resident. Prof. Maria Ivanova was in attendance, and has provided the pictures in this post.
The 2014 Champions of the Earth laureates are:
- H.E. Tommy Remegensau, President of Palau
- Achim Steiner, UNEP Executive Director
- Rick Fedrizzi, CEO of the U.S. Green Building Council
- Sylvia Earle, Renowned Ocean Conservationist and Ocean Explorer
- Robert Watson, Eminent Environmental Scientist
- Boyan Slat, Founder of the Ocean Cleanup Initiative
- Fatima Jibrell, Leading African Activist and Founder of Adeso
More information on each of the Champions and their contributions to the world can be found here.