Internship Opportunity – UMass Boston Center for Governance and Sustainability
The Center for Governance and Sustainability at UMass Boston is looking for research assistants to assist in the Environmental Conventions Initiative over summer 2014. The initiative is a long-term research undertaking that seeks to assess the effectiveness of current global environmental conventions. It comprises three major analytical and outreach strands:
– Data Analysis: establishing protocols to evaluate the level of compliance, implementation, and effectiveness of global environmental conventions.
– Policy Space: convening officials from the convention secretariats and national governments as well as environmental governance experts to engage in policy design and application.
– Capacity Building: developing training programs to provide guidance to governments and environmental conventions officials in substantive environmental policy issues as well as in negotiation and conflict resolution processes.
Responsibilities will include:
- Analysis of the structure and obligations of global environmental conventions.
- Data collection for indicators associated with the implementation of global environmental conventions.
- Data coding and analysis.
- Analysis of the compliance mechanisms of selected environmental conventions.
- Writing and editing for short reports and the Center’s blog.
- Handling email inquiries.
- Communication with Center Fellows and Associates, as well as with scholars and policymakers.
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Interest in, and familiarity with international environmental issues, international development, international law and international relations.
- Excellent writing skills for academic and general audiences.
- Strong research skills, including data collection, analysis, and management.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Working towards, or have recently completed, a Bachelor’s degree in a related field (natural sciences, politics, pre-law, etc.).
- Demonstrated record of teamwork.
Duration of Internship: Summer Term 2014
Applicants must send an email to email@example.com including CV, an unofficial transcript and a writing sample. The deadline to submit the applications is May 15th, 2014.