APPLY NOW: Civil Society Advisory Group on IEG
UNEP has decided to act upon an unanimous recommendation by major groups and regional representatives who participated in the 11th Special Session of the UNEP Governing Council in Bali, by creating a Civil Society Advisory Group on International Environmental Governance (IEG). Nominations are open until 13 August 2010 for possible candidates who may be elected members of the Advisory Group.
The Advisory Group will be spearheading and guiding a dynamic and multidimensional process within major groups and stakeholders to communicate key messages to the governmental negotiations and foster constructive engagement of global civil society, in line with Governing Council Decision SSXI/1 paragraph 9.
The members of the Advisory Group should ideally have all the following qualifications:
- Relevant experience, expertise and interest in the IEG process
- Broad knowledge of international organisations, UN bodies and procedures
- Proven interest and availability to invest time in reviewing thoroughly the relevant documents
- Preparedness to present regional interests
- Preparedness to present interests of other major groups and stakeholders
- Readiness to consolidate received inputs and comments and make them available in an easy-to-read format
- Ability to work towards strict deadlines
- Availability to travel, if elected, to represent the Advisory Group at relevant meetings
- Ability to be effective in inter-governmental negotiations.
There is no guarantee that UNEP can cover the costs of participation in the Advisory Group, and candidates must be aware that their contribution may be entirely on non-payment basis.
If you wish to nominate yourself or someone else to be a candidate of the Civil Society Advisory Group on IEG, you need to read the TORmgIEG 10.08.10, fill in the NomineeMotivationForm(2) and submit by 13 August to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your contact details, gender, major group and organization, along with a description of how you meet all the above listed qualifications, your motivation to become a member of the advisory group, and your previous experience with international governance.